About me
My name is Axel Räntilä, I'm 20 years old and I'm a student, currently studying Game Design and Programming at Gotland University(which will become Uppsala University Campus Gotland later this summer). Interest of mine include programming, reading books and mangas, training Aikido and taking bicycle trips and, of course, playing games.When it comes to games, I play all kinds of things, but I really like to play tower defense games because they offer a unique strategical challenge. My favorite tower defense game is probably Sanctum by Coffee Stain Studios.
And if you have any question that you want to ask me, related to this project or not, you can do so in three different ways:
- Email me at programmerarttd [@] gmail.com
- Tweet me @axelrantila
- Post them in the comments
About Programmer Art TD
As the name implies, the game will be a tower defense game that will be built up with programmer art. In the game you have to protect your RAM memory from the incoming hordes of memory leaks. If too many memory leaks reaches your RAM memory, the game game will be over.You defend the RAM memory by building towers on the circuit board near the memory. Killing of memory leaks gives you access to resources, which in term can be spent on building more towers.
After destroying a certain number of memory leaks, you will be rewarded with a boost that gives you some kind of bonus until the end of the map.
The game will be written in C++ and will utilize (at least) three external libraries.
- SFML, for rendering of graphics, handling of input, playing up sounds and such
- SimpleIni, for reading settings from config files
- Boost, for a lot of back-end things (Will explain more in the future)
Goals for this project
I've set-up a couple a goals for myself that I want to fulfill with this project around the time my fall semester starts:- Learn to work with Visual Studio 2012
- Write a 2D-engine that can be used later on (for making games for fun or during Game Jams and such)
- Getting better at utilizing external libraries for making the code work better.
- Build a functioning Tower Defense game
And that's it for now, expect more to come next week.
Sounds awesome! "defend the RAM memory by building towers on the circuit board near the memory. Killing of memory leaks" - I love it and I really look forward to what you will make of it!
ReplyDeleteHaha.
DeleteI really wanted to make a tower defense this summer, and this was the best setting I could think of. :p After all, I'm a programmer and not an artist.